NOTICE! This is a static HTML version of a legacy ImageJ Trac ticket.

The ImageJ project now uses GitHub Issues for issue tracking.

Please file all new issues there.

Ticket #1702 (closed feature: fixed)

Opened 2013-03-19T14:28:04-05:00

Last modified 2013-07-12T17:07:55-05:00

Make pixel types extensible

Reported by: curtis Owned by: bdezonia
Priority: critical Milestone: imagej2-b8-analysis
Component: Data Model Version:
Severity: serious Keywords:
Cc: Blocked By:


We need a new type of plugin, PixelType, that wraps an ImgLib2 Type. This would essentially make ImgLib2 Types discoverable and extensible within ImageJ. We could then populate the Type menu automatically (or collapse to a single command Image > Change Type or some such).

Change History

comment:1 Changed 2013-03-19T14:44:14-05:00 by bdezonia

Good idea. As a consequence I think the whole Type delineations in the menus should go away. There is another ticket about this (#1428) but even that might be unwieldy.

comment:2 Changed 2013-07-10T11:59:00-05:00 by bdezonia

I have made some progress with this on the data-types branch. The types are discovered and the Image > Type > Change plugin can manipulate them. There is more work to do but this gives an idea of what is possible.

Also there are initial implementations of BigDecimal and BigInteger types. They are close but do not support NativeType so we can't yet make Datasets containing them. The DataType classes extend the capabilities of the Imglib type system towards support of unbounded values.

More work:
0) Make image status line report pixel type directly rather than constructing "8-bit unsigned int".
1) Make NewImage use discovered types
2) Maintain metadata when changing type
3) Eliminate the old TypeChange plugins and menu manipulation code

comment:3 Changed 2013-07-11T14:33:46-05:00 by bdezonia

Note on data-types branch that NewImage has been updated too.

comment:4 Changed 2013-07-12T17:07:11-05:00 by bdezonia

  • Status changed from new to closed
  • Resolution set to fixed

This feature is now complete and merged to master. Most of the merge happened with commit 61ec8ba7d983ee05cb3a072ced7373418142d4ac. Unfortunately when I did the merge I forgot --no-ff so there is no merge commit I can reference.

comment:5 Changed 2013-07-12T17:07:28-05:00 by bdezonia

  • Status changed from closed to reopened
  • Resolution fixed deleted

comment:6 Changed 2013-07-12T17:07:43-05:00 by bdezonia

  • Owner changed from curtis to bdezonia
  • Status changed from reopened to assigned

comment:7 Changed 2013-07-12T17:07:55-05:00 by bdezonia

  • Status changed from assigned to closed
  • Resolution set to fixed