What is Curtis working on?
Here is a summary of my current projects, in priority order. (Last updated: 2020-May-01)
- pom-scijava 29.0.0 release.
- LOCI web server downsizing. Retiring and migrating services.
- Update Fiji distribution to use JBRSDK8 version of Java.
- PyImageJ 1.0.0 bug-fixes + release.
- Reconcile latest ImageJ 1.x version with ImageJ2 patching logic (imagej/ij1-patcher#47)
- JPMS/Jigsaw modularization. (scijava/incubator)
- Document community expectations. Formally define and clarify who is responsible for maintaining which plugins, to what extents (Project developer roles, ctrueden/ctr-scripts:dev-find, fiji/fiji:bin/team-hints.perl)
- ImageJ + Java 8. Complete the migration to Java 8 with a Java-6-compatible stub classpath that checks your Java version and tells you how to upgrade to Java 8 if needed. Retire the Java-8 update site, distributing its contents back onto the ImageJ and Fiji update sites.
- GitHub issue reporting plugin. The Fiji BugZilla and ImageJ Trac are now static content only. The Report a Bug plugin needs to send reports to GitHub instead. (scijava/scijava-plugins-issues-github)
- Rich Image. Improve the ImageJ Common data model to support metadata (e.g., spatial transformations) as a first-class citizen. (imagej/imagej-common@rich, imagej/janelia-hackathon-2016)
- SCIFIO blockization. (scifio/scifio#283)
- ImageJ Launcher. Switch to a JavaFX-based native launcher. Retire the current ImageJ Launcher. (imagej/imagej-launcher#33)
I am fully committed to all of the above projects. They are driven by me, making progress only when I directly work on them.
I am also coordinating and/or leading and/or advising and/or helping with, but not sole implementer for, the following additional projects:
- (with Dasong Gao ) FLIMJ.
- (with Gabriel Selzer ) SciJava Ops (scijava/scijava-ops) and ImageJ Ops.
- (with elevans ) New ImageJ web site. (imagej/imagej.github.io)
- (with etarena ) Coloc 2 algorithms in ImageJ Ops.
- (with Kyle Harrington and skalarproduktraum ) ImageJ in 3D. Unification of ImageJ 3D visualization efforts around SciView.
- (with Tobias Pietzsch ) Visualization of big data. Unification of visualization in general around the BigDataViewer. (imagej/imagej-common#66)
Finally, I have the following continuous priorities:
- Mentoring student programmers at LOCI
- Coordinating programming efforts at LOCI
- User support – questions on the Image.sc Forum, bug reports, pull requests, email
- Server maintenance and troubleshooting
- Project management tasks (e.g., managing issues)
On average, I spend ~0-2 hours per day on my primary projects above. The rest is spent on these constant priorities.
Recommended development tools
So you want to be an effective software developer? Use tools!
Vim-fu inside Eclipse – almost as good as the real thing
Automatic decompilation when browsing classes in Eclipse
Great editor. Crazy fast macros
Manage your vim plugins like a boss
Defaults everyone can agree on
Lean & mean status/tabline that's light as air
A Git wrapper so awesome, it should be illegal
Repeating supported plugin maps with "."
Quoting/parenthesizing made simple
See also my .vimrc
Awesome shell – even better than bash
Lightweight plugin manager
Your terminal never felt this good before:
Syntax highlights commands as you type them
Better command history navigation
Even more and better tab completions
See also my .zshrc
It is worth the pain, I promise
Commit, push & pull across repositories en masse
See also my .gitconfig
If you don't have a GitHub account, you don't exist