Here you can download an “all platforms” version of ImageJ, without a bundled Java or extra extensions.
Unfortunately, due to the ongoing transition from Java 6 to Java 8, this download of “plain ImageJ2” cannot currently be updated to the latest Java-8-compatible version. See the Java 8 page for details. For the time being, we recommend using the Fiji distribution of ImageJ to stay current with updates.
Distributions of ImageJ
These downloads bundle ImageJ with a curated collection of plugins pre-installed.
ImageJ will run on any system that has a Java 8 (or later) runtime installed. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8 with Java installed from java.com
- Mac OS X 10.8 “Mountain Lion” or later with Java installed from java.com
- Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS or later with OpenJDK 8 installed
Caution: "If you are installing ImageJ on Windows, we strongly recommend that you store your ImageJ.app directory somewhere in your user space (e.g.,
ImageJ is distributed as a portable application. That means that you do not have to run an installer; just download, unpack and start it.
- Many common questions are answered on the FAQ and Troubleshooting pages.
- If you encounter bugs, please see the Getting Help page.
See the source code page for details on obtaining the ImageJ source code.